Tuesday, December 9, 2014

'A Love Supreme' 50th Anniversary

The iconic portrait… from John Coltrane’s 1962 session w/ Duke Ellington, taken by Bob Thiele. Thiele recounts:
"[Coltrane] wasn't smiling and he said, ‘Who took this picture?’ I figured 'My God, he’s going to kill me that these are so terrible.' But before I could say I took the picture, he said, 'This is the best picture of me, ever.'"

50 years ago today, John Coltrane's Quartet recorded A Love Supreme in just one session at Van Gelder Studios in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. We celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Coltrane’s iconic album all week long (12/10-14), paying homage not only to the recording itself, but Trane's lasting influence on all music. Curated by son Ravi Coltrane, the week features author Ashley Kahn (A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album), saxophonist Joe Lovano, pianist Geri Allen, Turtle Island String Quartet, Steven Ellison, Nicholas Payton, Steve Coleman and Ravi himself!


You can find a wealth of news on the 50 year mark below:




No comments:

Post a Comment